Avocado is a fruit that’s enjoyed by many people in the world. This highly nutritious fruit is very refreshing in the summer. They can make anything better. It can make eggs, sandwiches, and salads, etc. taste better. But it can be a bit costly. That’s the reason some people like you want to know how to grow avocado so that they can grow this delicious fruit in their garden.
It’s very easy to grow an avocado tree. An avocado usually contains one seed. This seed is called the pit.
Today we’ll explain how to grow avocado for yourself.
For growing avocado plants, you’ll be needing:
- Some Avocado Seed
- A clear plastic cup
- Some toothpicks and
- A suitable place for the little plant to grow big
Avocado Basic Info
Avocados are evergreen plants with thick, leathery leaves and produce perfect white, ivory to yellow flowers. It comes in three groups. West Indian, Guatemalan, and Mexican. Avocado trees can be tall or spreading, and they have elliptic to egg-shaped leaves that are 10–30 cm (4–12 inches) in length.
How to Grow Avocado?
If you want to grow avocado in time, you need to properly follow these step by step process –
1. Choose the right avocado: Before planting, choose a ripe avocado. Avocado yields to firm gentle pressure when it’s ripe. Also, it takes a dark color.
2. Take the avocado pit out: Carefully cut the fruit and take the seed out. Mark the top and bottom of the seed. The bottom will grow a root.
3. Deseed: Gently peel the outermost layer of the seed. This will help germinate the seed.
4. Stick the toothpicks: Take 3 – 4 toothpicks and insert them about halfway into the seed.
5. Take a transparent cup: Put the seed with toothpicks on the cup. The toothpicks will act as a support for the seed. The bottom part must stay at the bottom.
6. Fill the cup: Fill the cup up to the bottom part with fresh water. The bottom will stay underwater. And the upper part will stay dry.
7. Position: Keep the whole thing in a warm place out of direct sunlight.
8. Take care: Take care of the plant while grows up. Algae can grow in the water and on the seed. Gently rub the algae off the seed. Also, you might want to change the water every 4-5 days. Don’t let the bottom of the seed to dry.
9. Watch it grow: The avocado will take 3-8 weeks to grow sprout and root. The top will be dry and will form a crack. And the outer brown skin will shed off.
10. Cut the stem: When the stem grows to 6-7 inches, you can cut it to 3 inches. This will help the tree to grow more roots. Don’t worry. It will grow back again.
11. Put in the Pot: When the stem grows back plant your avocado in your pot or the soil.
Where to plant the avocado sapling?
Avocado loves sunlight. So plant the tree where it gets the most sunlight. The southern part of your garden or yard is a good place as it helps protect it from the wind. Your avocado also likes well-drained, rich, and loose soil.
How to Prepare Soil for Avocado?
Prepare your soil by giving the proper fertilization. Oh and for fertilizers, use a proper amount of nitrogen and a little zinc. Or if you feel natural you can use organic fertilizers like compost, coffee, and fish emulsion, etc.
Make sure you have enough drainage for your plant. If you are planting in a pot make a hole in the bottom.
Tip: Try to start with multiple seeds to increase the chances of seeds’ survival.
Now that you know how to grow avocado, you should now understand that it’s a very easy plant to grow. You should not be scared to grow avocado plants in your garden. An avocado plant can take care of itself. But it still needs a bit of love and care from you.
So grow some avocado in your garden or your backyard.
Hope it will be a very fun project for you and your family. You can expect your tree to bear fruit in 5-13 years if you grow from seed. If you want sooner results you can buy a plant and wait 3-4 years for avocado in your guacamole.