If you are a plant lover, orchids may make you the happiest. Orchids are often used as an indoor plant decorating people’s homes. On the other hand, cats can be the best source of joy if you are a pet lover. The problem comes when you want to keep both pets and plants together. Some plants can be harmful and poisonous for your pets.
Here the question comes, are orchids poisonous to cats? I am going to explain the answer to this question in this article.
Wild cats often hunt their prey and get a small amount of plant matter from the stomach of their prey. But a pet cat can’t have that advantage. So, a pet cat can often try to eat your household plants out of curiosity. But what happens when your little angel eats an orchid?
What are the toxic plants to cats?
Many indoor and outdoor plants can be excessively poisonous for your cat. Animals are often inquisitive about nature, so they want to taste everything.
Unfortunately, if your cat tastes one of these toxic plants, it will fall sick. It can even die! There are countless poisonous plants for your cat. Few of these plants can make milder to severe problems.
Some of these plants are- Philodendron, Ficus, catnip, even aloe plants! Excessive toxic plants are- Oleander, sago palm, calla lily, etc.
What are the after-effects of consuming poisonous plants?
Mild toxicity can cause your cat’s mouth and throat indignation, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea. Severe toxicity can cause kidney failure, irregular heartbeat, indigestion, choking. Your cat can even die from consuming poisonous plants.
Can orchids make your cat sick?
There are many varieties of orchids. Some might be toxic for your cat, and some might not be. As an example, Phalaenopsis Orchids are non-poisonous for your cat or any pet.
When you want to know, are orchids poisonous to cats or not, you will be glad to know that studies have shown that many houseplants are safe for your pet. But you have to be careful with those plants which are actually toxic and can even bring death to your favorite cat.
But even if the orchids are not harmful, it’s best to keep your cat away from these. Because pesticides and fertilizers that you use to grow your plant are incredibly harmful to cats.
Which orchids are harmful to your cat?
As I stated above, all kinds of orchids are safe for your cat. Research shows that there are about 25,000 orchid species, whereas there are more than 1 lakh hybrid orchids. Old orchids are told to be safe for your little friend, but modern hybrids can be risky.
On the other hand, pesticides and fertilizers used in orchids can be risky for your cat. So it’s best if you keep your cat away from these plants, whether its orchid or another plant.
How to keep your cat away from plants?
You can take a few steps to keep your cats away from indoor plants. Even though these plants are mostly not harmful, but the pesticides are. So read these following steps-
- Keep your plants in a separate room: keeping your plants in a separate room can keep your cats away from poisonous plants. You have to make sure that your cat can’t reach these plants. Make enough defense for your cats. If you can, place these plants in a different room where your cats can’t even notice these plants.
- Use shelves for plants: keeping your orchids on shelves can keep your cats away from reaching those. If you keep the plants above a height that is difficult for your cats, your cat and plants will be safe. Again, using shelves will look to give a better look for your home.
- Hang your orchids: orchids can be hanged on pots, this way, your cat can’t reach those. Moreover, hanging your plants can make those plants extremely attractive and classy.
- A mixture of vinegar and water: spray a mixture of vinegar and water together on your plants. The smell can keep your cat away from the plants.
- Make a fence: it’s best if you can put a fence or alike matter around your plants. This can keep your cat away too.
- Use cinnamon: Cinnamon is also an effective substance to keep your little friend away from your orchid plant. Spray cinnamon on your orchid just as you sprayed vinegar and water mixture. The fragrance will keep your cat away.
Is it risk-free for your cat to have an orchid at home?
The straight answer is yes. An orchid is safe for your cat. Even though there are variations, an orchid can’t be that poisonous to kill your cat. It may cause an upset stomach or milder effects.
The central fact is, as you love your pet and your plant too, it’s best if you be cautious. You have to keep your cat away from the orchid plant so that you can circumvent any damage.
How to detect poisoning?
We can’t take risks on your beloved little friends. You should always be prepared for the worst so that you can avoid it from happening. If the odds happen and your little pet eats an orchid that is poisonous, you can suspect the poison when you see these symptoms-
- Breathing difficulties
- Irregular heartbeat
- Lack of appetite
Usually, poisoning can be noticed nearly after 15 minutes of consumption. If you notice poisoning, you have to take your cat to its vet immediately.
If you have read this article thoroughly, you have got your answer to the question are orchids poisonous to cats. In summary, orchids are totally safe for your little beauties. Keep your cats away, especially from pesticides and fertilizers of the plants.
Orchids can be exquisite for your home decoration. On the other hand, your cat just brightens up your life. So, bring keep your plant friend and pet friend together in your life bu following this article. You are ready to keep these two together. Congratulations!